The Library of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts (HAZU) is primarily intended for researchers in the field of humanities and social sciences, although it is open to all citizens over the age of 18. The Library is the oldest organisational unit of HAZU, which was formed in 1861, before the Academy itself, when the first significant donation of books was recorded. The library was formally organized when the Academy was established in 1867 after the Austro-Hungarian government approved it. The library also collected archival materials and manuscripts until 1892, after which the Archives were separated from the Library. From 1949 to 2009, the Library was housed in the ground floor of the HAZU Palace. In 2009, the library moved to a new building on Strossmayer Square 14, where it is located today.
The library consists of approximately 400,000 volumes of journals and books. However, in addition to this central location, HAZU has other departments with around 150-160 thousand books. The Library coordinates with the Digital Collection of HAZU and HAZU’s digital catalogue. Through the Digital Library of the Croatian Academy of Sciences, the Library acts as a repository for other Academy units. It is a member of the Liber Association of European Research Libraries. It participated in the European project Europeana Cloud (2013-2016) and is currently coordinating the one-year project Dariah - Cooperation Framework of Digital Infrastructure in the Region.
In 2014, Dr Bojan Marotti, a staff member of HAZU’s Philosophy of Science Division of the Institute for the History and Philosophy of Science, in agreement with Vedrana Juričić (director of the Library), turned the Pugwash Movement Collection over to the Library.
- Zagreb Trg Josipa Jurja Strossmayera 14, Croatia 10000
- Library of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts
Date of founding:
- Operator roles:
- Owner of:
- Main actor of:
The Library of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences is based on the 30,000 volumes donated by the Academy’s first president, Count József Teleki (1790–1855), to the Learned Society in 1826. With this collection, 600 manuscript volumes and 409 incunabula (books printed before 1500) were acquired by the Library, the Department of Manuscripts of which had been an independent unit since 1861. Its first head was archaeologist and art historian Flóris Rómer (1815–1889), a full member of the Academy.Although incunables and old Hungarian books had from the start been committed to the care of the Department, it was only in 1891 that their classification in sixteen orders was finished and a catalogue was made accessible to the public. The Department's Rare Book Division was set up in 1954. In the same year, the bulk of pre-1800 foreign and pre-1850 Hungarian books was transferred to the Department from the Library’s main stacks.
The Literary Municipality of Cetinje was a publishing house founded in 1985 by three literary enthusiasts: writer Milorad Popović, poet and art critic Mladen Lompar, and politician Slavko Perović. Its official status was that of a civic association, led by Perović, but it was essentially a cultural association. Alongside its publishing activity, the Literary Municipality of Cetinje also organized literary events and roundtables on cultural issues.
Up until its closure in 1988, the Literary Municipality of Cetinje published several books, most of which contain poetry, and seven issues of ARS – Review of Culture, Art and Science.
The founders of the Literary Municipality of Cetinje found themselves targeted by the local communist leadership due to their “too-liberal” political views, interest in the national question of Montenegro, and sympathy for the works of Yugoslav dissidents.
The main grounds for the closure of the Literary Municipality of Cetinje was the publication of the book Etnogenezofobija by Savo Brković, a prominent Communist official who had been suspected of Montenegrin nationalism since the mid-1970s. The book was considered controversial as it engaged with the ethnic origin of Montenegrins and raised criticism of Greater Serbia nationalism, which was increasingly being propagated by Serbian Communist leaders and intellectuals. Following the publication of Etnogenezofobija in 1988, the Literary Municipality of Cetinje was forcibly closed down. Its president, Slavko Perović was accused of being “politically inappropriate” and was dismissed from the Central Committee of the League of Communists of Montenegro.
- Cetinje, Montenegro
- Literary Municipality of Cetinje
Date of founding:
The Museum of Literature and Music was founded in 1925. It is an institution of national importance, working under the Ministry of Culture and funded by the government. Its main mission is to nurture the heritage of Latvian literature, theatre, cinema and music, as well as art, as far as it is connected with the main fields of interest. The museum's collection consists of more than 900,000 items.