Estonian Theatre and Music Museum
The Estonian Theatre and Music Museum is a state museum under the Ministry of Culture. The history of the museum goes back to the year 1924, when a movement emerged to collect the legacy of the composer and organist Peeter Süda. Since 1934, the museum has been located in Tallinn, at 12 Müürivahe Street, in the Assauwe Tower, built in the 14th century. In 1941, the original music museum merged with the Theatre Museum, which was established in 1937.
Today, the museum has departments of music and theatre, libraries about music and theatre, a collection of sheet music, a collection of art, and a photograph collection. The Särev Theatre-Room, dedicated to the stage director and actor Andres Särev, also operates as a branch of the museum. The department of music includes more than 500 personal funds of Estonian musicians and composers. These funds contain altogether more than 12,000 original manuscripts of compositions.
Tallinn Müürivahe 12, Estonia 10146
Show on map
Date of founding
Type of organisation
- Government/State organisation
Author(s) of this page
- Tammela, Mari-Leen
- Tark, Triin