Artūras Barysas-Baras (1954-2005) was an amateur Lithuanian filmmaker and underground rock singer. His main hobby was collecting old and rare books, magazines, vinyl discs, and other things. He was the lead singer with the underground group Ir Visa Tai, Kas Yra Gražu, Yra Gražu (And all of that that is Beautiful is Beautiful). Barysas-Baras became known and recognisable because of his extravagant behaviour and dress. According to Gaigalas, he liked to be the centre of attention, and that is why he was provocative in his behaviour and in his films. He exploited two particular situations in order to escape persecution by the regime. First of all, his father was an employee of the Soviet Lithuanian Council of Ministers. Secondly, he was short-sighted, and so had the status of an invalid. For this, the repressive structures could not blame him for being an unemployed hippie, which allowed him to behave provocatively. Nevertheless, after making the film Jos meilė (Her Love) and showing it at a republic amateur film festival (according to Gaigalas, at the all-Union festival in Bryansk, as well), Barysas-Baras was disqualified from film festivals and was banned from showing films for one year. As he himself recalled, that made him very angry. As he argued, it was the first and only case in all-Union amateur film history that someone was disqualified. In the same year, he made the film Jo ieško (He is under Surveillance) which was, in his own estimation, his best film.
- Vilnius Vasario 16-osios gatvė 13, Lithuania 01106
Evhen Batchinsky was born in 1885 in Katerynoslav (later Dnipropetrovsk, now Dnipro) in the Russian Empire. Born into the szlachta, or a legally privileged noble class, Batchinsky attended a military cadet school in Oryol, Russia and the artillery academy in St. Petersburg before serving in the Tsarist army as an artillery lieutenant. He was among the officers with revolutionary aims in the period 1905-1907, advocating for the institution of a constitutional monarchy and federalization of the empire. For this, Batchinsky was arrested and released from military service, serving 10 months in prison before fleeing to France where he lived from 1908 until 1914. Batchinsky traveled briefly to Bukovyna (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) in 1910, where he was arrested and spent three months in jail for agitating for the creation of a Ukrainian university in Lviv. From that point onward, he was under the surveillance of Romanian, Hungarian and Soviet state security services. He then returned to France, before moving to Geneva in 1914, when he also began studying socioeconomics at Lausanne University.
From 1915 to 1917, he was a representative of the Union for the Liberation of Ukraine (Soyuz vyzvolennia Ukrainy) in Switzerland and was editor of La Revue ukrainienne, an official publication of this organization. In 1918, he was made temporary consul of the Ukrainian National Republic (UNR) diplomatic mission in Switzerland, participating in various diplomatic and political activities. From 1919 to 1922, Batchinsky served as general secretary of the Chambre de Commerce Ukraino-Suisse in Geneva founded by Pavlo Chyzhevsky, an emissary of the Ukrainian National Republic, and was editor of its publication, Vistnyk (The Herald). During the interwar period he continued his journalistic activities, and was an accredited journalist to the League of Nations for several Ukrainian newspapers.
In 1939, Batchinsky founded the Central Aid Committee of the Ukrainian Red Cross in Exile, and was its director until 1950, when it was disbanded. Though not officially recognized by the International Red Cross and severely lacking in resources, this organization helped a large number of Ukrainian refugees during and immediately after World War II with advice, documents, and occasional material assistance. Documents Batchinsky prepared helped save a number of Ukrainian refugees from forced repatriation to the Soviet Union. At least three large boxes of materials relating to the Ukrainian Red Cross and the Prisoner of War Post remain at the Ukrainian Museum-Archives in Cleveland.
Alongside his diplomatic and humanitarian activities, Batchinsky avidly collected documentation from this period, amassing a collection that totals 115 linear meters, including 67 meters of manuscripts and other papers and about fifteen hundred serial and monographic publications. As indicated in the finding aid prepared by Carleton University, he acquired these materials in various ways. Some were encountered in his day-to-day administrative functions and preserved organically, while in other cases he sought out personal papers of notable diplomats and representatives of the UNR’s government-in-exile. Evhen sent some of these materials to his brother Leonid Bachynsky in Cleveland, Ohio from the 1950s to the 1970s. Though Carleton acquired most of these surviving materials in 1982, which amounted to one-third of the reunited Evhen Batchinsky Collection, some items remain part of the UMA’s holdings.
- Dnipro, Ukraine 49000
- Geneva, Switzerland
- Gruyère District, Bulle, Switzerland
- Lausanne, Switzerland
- Oryol, Russia
- Paris, France
- Saint Petersburg, Russia
Jana M. Bauerová was born in Dačice in 1980 and spent her childhood in Stará Říše in the neighborhood of the Jirous family. She graduated from business school in Jihlava. She works as an archivist at the Libri Prohibiti library, where she is responsible for the estate of Ivan Martin Jirous. In 2004, together with Františka Jirousová, she established the literary group Catholic Decadence. In 2008 she published the poems Northerly Cross, and in 2018 she and Františka Jirousová published their dairy memories of Jirous entitled Mága.
- Praha, Prague, Czech Republic
- Neubrandenburg Gartenstraße 6, Germany 17033
László Beke is an art historian and curator. He studied at the Art History and Hungarian Language departments of Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest. Beginning in 1968, he was a research fellow in art history at the Research Institute for Art History of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. From 1988 to 1995, he was chief curator of the painting collections of the Hungarian National Gallery and from 1995 to 2000 was the general director of the Műcsarnok/Kunsthalle in Budapest. Between 2000 and 2011, Beke served as the director of the Research Institute of Art History of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in Budapest. Since 1990, he has been a professor at the Hungarian University of Fine Arts and teaches at several other Hungarian institutions as well. Beginning in the late 1960s, he began participating in the activities of the underground contemporary art movements in Hungary. Beke is the author of approximately 400 studies, articles and catalogue essays and has been the editor of 15 books.
The first two decades of Beke’s career ran along parallel paths: at his official workplace he researched Medieval goldsmithery (his doctorate was about cloisonné enamel pieces), while in his free time he participated intensively in progressive art events that took place primarily at marginal locations. He soon became one of the major organizers of these events. Beke initiated projects, participated and organized events at the Chapel Studio in Balatonboglár, organized exhibitions at the Club of Young Artists in Budapest and happenings at the Ganz Cultural Center that were formally conducted as educational lectures. In the meantime, he built an extensive private archive, wrote essays, organized many exhibitions and served as a consultant for many exhibitions abroad. In 1977, Beke received the Kassák Prize awarded by the Magyar Műhely in Paris for the documentation of Hungarian art.At around the time of the régime change in Hungary, the unofficial and official paths of Beke’s career merged. He received the Mihály Munkácsy Prize in 1989 and the Széchenyi Prize in 2009.
- Budapest, Hungary