Calvinist Church District West of the River Tisza
The church district was established in the sixteenth century thanks to the spread of Calvinism in Upper Hungary. After the Peace Treaty of Trianon (1920), five eparchies (Abaúj, Gömör-Torna, Felsőbordos, Alsóborsod, and Alsózemplén) remained in Hungary. The others went to the Church district west of the Tisza River in Czechoslovakia. The Church district was added to the Church district east of the Tisza River in 1952. In 1957, it became independent again, but with the new eparchies created in 1952 (Heves, Borsod, Abaúj, Zemplén). Today, the Church district includes the Eparchies of Abaúj, Borsod-Gömör, Egervölgy, and Zemplén.
Miskolc Kossuth Lajos utca 17, Hungary 3525
Show on map
Date of founding
Type of organisation
- other non-profit organization
Author(s) of this page
- Pál, Zoltán
Zoványi Jenő: Magyarországi protestáns egyháztörténeti lexikon. Harmadik, javított, bővített kiadás [Hungarian Protestant Church Historical Lexicon. Third, corrected, extended edition]. Szerkesztette [edited by]: Ladányi Sándor. Magyarországi Református Egyház Zsinati Irodája, Budapest, 1977.