The Romanian Order of Architects–Braşov, Covasna, and Harghita Branch (Ordinul Arhitecţilor din România–Filiala Teritorială Braşov, Covasna, Harghita, or in short OAR–BV–CV–HR) was founded in 2001 as an autonomous branch of the Romanian Order of Architects (Ordinul Arhitecţilor din România) and gathers the architects from the three counties mentioned in the title and located in south-eastern part of Transylvania. The headquarters of OAR–BV–CV–HR is in the city of Braşov. OAR–BV–CV–HR aims at promoting good practice in the field of the architecture by encouraging those architectural solutions that are compatible with the protection of the cultural and natural heritage of the south-eastern part of Transylvania and protecting the rights of Romanian architects. In this respect, OAR–BV–CV–HR has fought against various projects that endangered the cultural and natural heritage in the this region. For example, in May 2014, OAR–BV–CV–HR protested against the project promoted by the local authorities of Braşov by which a new car park was to be build in the vicinity of the medieval fortifications of the city.
In June 2016, as part of the Oraşul Memorabil (The Memorable City) project, OAR–BV–CV–HR organised the exhibition entitled Arhitectura industrială în Brașov, 1880-1940 (Industrial architecture in Braşov, 1880–1940), which was funded by the local authorities of Braşov and from the architectural stamp tax collected and administrated by the Romanian Order of Architects. This exhibition brought to the fore the industrial architecture of the city as valuable part of the city’s cultural heritage in the context of the massive destruction produced after 1989 by real estate projects in Braşov.
The Contemporary History Section is part of the Modern and Contemporary History Department, established in 1965. The long years of accumulation by the museum’s curators covers the political, economic, cultural and everyday life of Rousse during the period of socialism and post-socialism. The newest tendency in the collecting work of the section is the recording of oral narratives from the period of socialism and democracy, using the "oral history" method for their storing and examination. The overall fund collection of the section contains an inventory of approximately 10 000 pieces, and also includes the following collections:
- badges, awards and medals
- signs of the socialist landscape
- technology from the socialist period – radios, televisions, typewriters, projectors, etc.
- belongings of notable people from Rousse, like Konstantin Dimchev (actor), Stefan Vachev (director of the Youth Symphonic Orchestra), etc.
- materials related to the history of the Bulgarian River Shipping Company – uniforms, documents, photos
- documents and pictures, representing the history of the Youth Brigade Movement
- images, related to the development of industry and agriculture in Rousse and the region
- printed materials and images from the First International Music Festival “March Music Days” in Rousse
- images related to the ecological protests in Rousse, which resulted in the demands for democratic changes in Bulgaria
- election materials from the period of democratic rule
- documents, belongings and video recordings, related to the history of those persecuted by the Communist regime and of the Goryansko Movement.
The research activity of the specialists covers issues of political, cultural and public life in Rousse and the region, as well as an ethnological research on the problems of the everyday culture in the industrial town. Two main collections directly connected with the cultural opposition to the socialist regime are held at the Museum: the collection "Ecological Protests against Chlorine Pollution" and the collection "Angry Young Poets", devoted to the resistance and opposition of poets in Rousse during the 1960s.
The section has no permanent exhibition, but presents different temporary exhibitions, part of which are devoted primarily to the socialist period: “The Political Poster”, "The Bureau of the Dictator", etc.
- Bulgaria, 7000 Rousse, “Al. Battenberg” Sq. 3
- Rousse Regional Museum of History
Date of founding:
- Creator at:
- Operator roles:
- Owner of:
- Main actor of:
First two years the squat was busy with renovation and adaptation works. In 1995 the first concerts took place there. In 1997 the Poznan Anarchist Library was founded in the squat, and the regular events has become the Freedom Gathering (Biesiady Wolnościowe). Since this year Rozbrat is also an informal headquarter of Poznan’s section of the Anarchist Federation. In 2000 the Anarchist Club was founded. In the 1990s Rozbrat was a center of alternative culture (of concerts, exhibitions, meetings, poetry readings, etc.), however in the 2000s – with the influence of international alter-globalist movement – it started to focus mostly on some socio-political goals. This change should be seen in a broader context of atrophy of alternative culture in the late 1990s and ideological clashes within the anarchist movement in Poland. In the 1990s the individualistic and libertarian attitudes were dominant, and the most important issues were of cultural, artistic and philosophical nature. At the beginning of a new decade, predominance was on the side of anarchists concerned with leftists and social issues, with willingness for political fight. Since then, Rozbrat has been a centre hosting law, ecological, antifascist, and tenant initiatives.
The squat’s collective has been following the rules of self-governance and radical democracy – as a rule rejecting any subsidies, grants, patronages, and commercial activities. The Poznan Anarchist Library is one of many activities conducted in the squat and subjected to decisions of the collective.